25th June 2014 | In House Training
Laundry detergent pods (LDP’s) also known as liquid capsules, liquitabs or liquid sachets have been around since 2001 in Europe. They are designed with a water-soluble wrapping intended to be placed inside a washing machine drum. LDP’s rapidly dissolve upon contact with water, moisture or saliva. Recent research suggests that although ingestion of conventional laundry detergent powders by pets causes minor symptoms, exposure to the contents of LDP may result in a more severe toxicity because of its high concentration. There are also special risks because of their attractive appearance, small size and pleasant smell. We want everyone just to be aware and to take care when using these LDP’s. They will burst when bitten into, shooting their contents down pets’ throats, obstructing upper airways or cause burns to the eyes or skin. LDP poisoning is a potentially life-threatening veterinary emergency. Please keep them out of the reach of your pets.